Changing my Thinking

Curt bought me a book for Christmas, one that I have wanted to read: The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. Then, a friend bought me a companion book: Daily Inspiration for the Purpose Driven Life. (Do you think they’re trying to tell me something?)

Now, for those of you who know me, you know that I love to read. Those of you who don’t know me now know that I love to read. However, I’ve recently been having trouble finding the time to read as much as I would like. For example, a few weeks ago, some members of our church started daily lectionary readings. I started out doing well, but then soon fell behind in the readings.

Now, after receiving these two books for Christmas, I have more reading to do. The Purpose Driven Life is meant to be read over a period of 40 days - one chapter per day. Then I have the daily lectionary readings - approximately five separate but short reading per day.

I talked to Curt last night and told him that I have made up my mind that I am going to do this. I need to take time each day to read and then reflect on what I have read. Although Curt isn’t a reader, he agreed to discuss what I read each day, if I want to. It always helps me to have someone to discuss these things - a partner, so to speak. I started The Purpose Driven Life on Monday, and I gave Curt a bit of a run-down last night of what the first two chapters were about. I plan to re-start the lectionary readings on Sunday (since the church bulletin lists the readings for the week on the back, and I missed church last week since we were on our way home from Myrtle Beach).

After my first three days of The Purpose Drive Life, I am finding that I’m already starting to ask myself some serious questions. There is a “Question to Consider” for day one that asks, “In spite of all the advertising around me, how can I remind myself that life is really about living for God, not myself?” This question has been on my mind since I read it three days ago. I’m not even looking at it regarding “advertising.” This seems to be an “everything” deal. In everything…how do I remind myself that it’s about God and his plan, not me and mine? I’ve been told most of my life that I can do whatever I want to do, whatever I set my mind to…that kind of thing. Now I have to start retraining myself.

So, I’ve been thinking now for three days. How do I remind myself to put God first? What do I need to do to adjust my thinking? I am reminded of a line in a movie where the character talks about having to remind himself every day to get out of bed, breathe in and out, etc., but then he says that eventually, he will no longer have to remind himself to do these basic things.

Will it be the same way with this? After so much time spent trying to put God and His plan first, will it eventually become automatic? This is a whole new way of thinking for me!

I will probably be posting many questions like this as I go through these readings. Sometimes it helps me to type it all out and read through what I have written. Other times, it just makes me more confused. Feel free to add your input; I’m always open to suggestions!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After all this, there is only one thing to say: Have reverence for God, and obey his commands, because this is all that we were created for. ECCLESIASTES 12:13 TEV