I did something crazy!

I know, that may be hard to believe (not), but I did. To make a long story short, I wrote a letter to someone with whom I have not communicated in over a year. Now, let me explain a little bit more, and you may see why I think it’s crazy.

I wrote a letter to Eric (aka Carlos). Carlos was my best friend from sixth grade all the way through college and beyond. He stuck by me through some really tough stuff; we were always together. When we started college (at BC3), I used to give him a ride every day. Then, when he transferred to Slippery Rock, I would pick him up on Fridays to bring him home. When I started skating in 1993, he would go with me just so I didn’t have to go alone. He’d sit in the snack bar or a corner somewhere and read.

Now, I’m not really sure what happened, but as sometimes happens with friends, we grew apart. I moved to Boardman and eventually got married. He is still in Butler, and that’s about all I know anymore.

The last communication (email) I can find from him was in December 2007. I’ve tried emailing several times, but I haven’t had a response since that one in 2007. (In that last email, he mentioned that he was having trouble with his email, so he may have a new email address.) I tried sending a text message to his cell phone, but I never got a response either. (Just so you know, I hesitate to call since I do not know what kind of schedule he keeps.) I finally decided that, as my last attempt, I would write him a letter and mail it to the last known address that I have.

I first got the urge to contact him around the Holidays. In addition, some of the messages at New Hope over the past months have been about relationships and fixing broken ones. This is one relationship that I would really like to fix. Plus, as some of you may know, Carlos and I were both really into Star Trek, and with the new Trek movie coming out, I think about him even more often. I have never had another friend like him, and I don’t know that I ever will.

We’ll just wait and see what happens if/when he receives the letter. What a crazy move, huh?